Navier is building the boat of the future! We are a fast-growing startup in the maritime space led by MIT engineers with a passion for boating and electric transportation. Our DNA is one part maritime, one part Silicon Valley tech and one part aerospace. Our first product, Navier 30, is an electric hydrofoil speed boat that is more than 10 times as efficient as a gas boat of its size. It flies above the surface of the water avoiding discomfort and motion-sickness in rough weather, providing a unique boating experience.
Our aspiration is to create radical disruption in waterborne transportation. We believe that achieving a step-function decrease in the operating cost of small vessels will unlock a compelling and meaningful opportunity in transportation; A scalable urban mobility solution for our congested coastal cities.
About the Role:
Our boat flies, and this requires actuators, control surfaces, gearboxes, sensors, etc. You will play a key role in developing the various mechanical and electromechanical components and systems required to create a flying boat.
We are an early stage startup. You will begin as an individual contributor within a small close-knit team leading the development of major components of our product. As a rapidly growing company we expect this role to evolve over time with opportunities to manage a team as we grow our headcount. The ideal candidate is passionate, driven, and excited about playing a key role in bringing our first product to market.
- Develop and improve actuation systems for flight control surfaces, foil lift system, and other mechanical and electromechanical assemblies.
- Own the full design process - concept generation, fabrication/drawings, prototyping, validation, production. Iterate quickly.
- Model and analyze mechanical subassemblies, including stress, performance, wear, reliability, thermal, safety, etc.
- Design and analyze electrical systems required - specify actuators, motor controllers, and any supporting electrical components.
- Integrate systems into vessel - assemble and install components onto the boat.
- BS, MS or PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering, or equivalent
- 4+ years of relevant industry experience.
- Candidate ideally has completed at least one commercial product development program.
- Candidate ideally has previous experience with EV, automotive, aerospace or marine actuators, vendors, and system design.
- Strong fundamentals in mechanical design of actuated systems (linkages, actuators, gearing, proper constraint, etc.)
- Hands-on technical experience prototyping and validating mechatronic systems.
- Experience using SolidWorks for design, assemblies, drawings. Some Rhino experience is also valuable.
- Previous startup experience. Strong work ethic and the ability to work in a fast pace environment.
- Experience with the maritime environment (e.g., IP ratings, ABYC standard, corrosion issues, galvanic isolation)
- Experience designing or fabricating composite parts
- Experienced and passionate boater
- Some background in software development or embedded systems